What is Collagen?
According to Dictionary.com Collagen is, “any of a class of extracellular proteins abundant in higher animals, especially in the skin, bone, cartilage, tendon, and teeth, forming strong insoluble fibers and serving as connective tissue between cells, yielding gelatin when denatured by boiling.”
Collagen is a protein fiber that you can find throughout the human body. This fiber helps to hold our body’s together and give support to most of the parts that make up a body. As we age our body will start to lose its collagen properties. The lose of collagen can be seen on our faces and in our skin as wrinkles, sagging skin, lose of elasticity and skin that is easily damaged because of the breakdown of the thickness in layers.
As women we can stop producing collagen as early as 25. Depending on your lifestyle the collagen in your face can breakdown even faster than being an older age. Sun damage can breakdown the collagen and elastin in your skin which can speed up the appearance of skin aging. If you smoke your collagen will become damaged and you will prematurely age. Also, if you are someone who loves to eat a very carb heavy diet then the sugars in the carbs will attach to the collagen and elastin in your body and speed up the aging process.
These are just the effects on the surface aging process. Our bodies have over 16 different types of collagen and there are three major types of collagen in the body which are Types I, II and III.
This is the main type of collagen that is present in body and it forms the collagen fibers. Type I can be found in scar tissue, tendons, ligaments, the endomysium of myofibrils, the organic part of bone, the dermis, the dentin and organ capsules.
This is the collagen that makes up 50% of all the protein in your cartilage and 85-90% of the collagen in your articular cartilage. This is the collagen that helps to provide strength to your tissues. You will also find this collagen in your eyes and your joints.
This is the type of collagen that is found in your blood vessels, muscles and skin, plus it can be found in some of your internal organs.
What are the Health Benefits of Taking Collagen Supplements?
At this point you may be thinking, ‘I’ve enjoyed my life, ate what I wanted, lived how I wanted and anything else,’ so can collagen really help me? The great thing is that there are collagen supplements that are available to help reverse damage.
What can collagen supplements do for you?
• Can prevent bone loss
• Could add to muscle mass
• Helps to relieve joint pain
• Helps heart health
• Can help improve skin appearance
Taking collagen can help to repair or prevent the breaking down of collagen and the aging process in the body and on the surface. You can find collagen in either powder or pill form. There are supplements that meant to be taken for Type I and Type III for women who specifically want to get the benefits of regaining their youthful appearance.
If you find a collagen product that is a multi supplement then you are getting the benefits of all the different types of collagen which allows them to interactively repair and boost the joints, elastin, skin health, hair, nails, muscles, tendons, eyes, ligaments and so many other parts of your body. Once you start taking a supplement for collagen repair you may not see the results for four to six months, but taking the supplements has a long lasting effect.
How does Bone Broth fit in to this?
Bone Broth has become a huge health product within the last 5 years. Even though this soup or drink has gain a huge popularity recently doesn’t mean that it hasn’t been around since people first started cooking. Bone Broth is a stock of sorts that is made by cooking the bones of poultry, red meats or fish until the bones break down and release the nutrients and gelatin inside.
Bone Broth can be a great source of incorporating collagen back into your body. Bone Broth has been shown to have many different benefits for the body.
• It can help you to get healthier and lose some weight. No one can live on bone broth alone, but with all of the nutrients in the broth, plus the fact that in most cases you are making it yourself this is a product free of preservatives and carbs. You can add different grains and vegetables in to the broth to make it more of a soup so that everyone can enjoy it. Plus, making this broth can give you the base for many other recipes.
• It can help with your gut health. Leaky gut syndrome is an issue that plagues many people. You can end up with diarrhea, food sensitivities or constipation. The properties in the Bone Broth can help to heal and seal up the lining of your inflamed and damaged gut.
• It is said to help people sleep better. There is glycine in Bone Broth and it has benefits that help to fight off fatigue and will help you sleep better at night.
• Your hair and nails will grow. Just like with any collagen based product Bone Broth will help to support the growth of your hair and nails.
• It will support bone strength. Collagen is in your bones and these broths are made from bones. Animal bones have calcium, magnesium and phosphorus in them and those minerals will add to the health benefits that your bones need.
Collagen helps us to retain a youthful appearance no matter what age we are. It is a health property that our entire body can benefit from. If you are getting your collagen in the form of supplements or through bone broth then you are already helping your body to not only look better but to also feel better and stronger.
No matter what your age is your body needs joint, bone, muscle and cell support. Collagen can also help us to remain flexible and help with our mobility. The benefits of Collagen pills, powders, supplements or bone broth is not just for superficial reasons. Collagen is a natural human product that can be found throughout the body and supplements can help us to make sure that it stays in our body as we get older.